Saturday, September 5, 2015

South Bend Indiana and My Childhood Home


We left the Fleetwood Service Center a little later than we wanted to, luckily our next stop was only a couple hours away. We arrived in South Bend Indiana, found a nice RV Park and settled in for the night.

 Friday morning we were off and running early as we knew we had a longer than usual drive up to Wisconsin. But first we had to stop by and see my childhood home. Several months ago Sheryl and I were looking through some old pictures and found one that had the address of the house in South Bend where I was born. Pretty cool, and thought, if we ever got up that way, it would be pretty neat to stop by and see it. Well that day finally came and we were here. Looking it up on Google maps the house was on the outskirts of town and from the looks of it, progress and growth did not creep into this part of it. The house (only one of ten in the whole area) is still surrounded by corn fields and farm land. Above is the road the house is on.


And there is was, no change in 53 years, since I was last here. Of course the trees are larger, but that's about it. I was hoping someone would be home, but seems everyone was gone and I didn't want to looks like a prowler snooping around. We just looked from the road, reminisced and took a few pictures.What a really cool feeling, I know it may not seem like a big deal to some, but for me, with very limited background on any of my family, it was good to see.
After our short visit we were off and running again, we set our sights on Two Rivers Wisconsin and headed north. I was really dreading the drive through Chicago but it didn't turn out too bad, lots of traffic and crazy drivers, but traffic flowed and we were thru it on no time.
We made it into Two Rivers around 4pm, got all set up and went to dinner with Sheryl's niece. But more on all that later. So until next time................................

No comments:

Post a Comment