Friday, April 15, 2016

Update and Minor Rant (Louisiana)

I'm still making my way back to OKC to be with Sheryl while she is helping our daughter recover from her back surgery. Good news, she is recovering well, her back and leg pain is gone, but she is still pretty sore at the bone graph site.
I left Florida a few days ago with plans to stop in New Orleans. It has been 25 or so years since I was last there and wanted to stop in and check it out again. I took up residence at the Navy Base Campground in Belle Chase just outside New Orleans. Now the Navy Base and Campground here are very nice, a definite oasis from the big city. Last time I was here, New Orleans and the French Quarter was actually a pretty decent place to visit, fairly clean for being a big party area. This time however it's a different story. Parking the Jeep on the Algiers side, I caught the ferry across to the Canal St area on the edge of the French Quarter. Walking around the quarter I immediately began to notice a change. the whole area is dirty and smells like a landfill. There seems to be many more homeless people, drunks, panhandlers  and con men then ever before, just making for a very unpleasant time. After about a half hour it was all I could take and just had to leave and get back to the base. The area has really gone down hill. The architecture, food and music are still great, just being surrounded by the rest of it.......we won't be back. On another note and equally as bad are the roads in Louisiana, seems like no matter what part of the state you visit, the roads are just horrendous. Every time we drive an RV through the state, something gets damaged or breaks due to the beating the RV takes. This time it rattled the screws out of the back up monitor and broke some stuff in an underneath storage bay. Now I remember why we avoided Louisiana for so long before, and if at all possible will from now on.........Ok, rant over!!!
I currently in Northern Louisiana on my way to spend a couple of days in the Dallas area visiting the grandkido's. I should make it in around 2:00-3:00. So, that's all for now...........see ya next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment